First full week of serving the Lord in Brazil!

 Opa! Tudo Bem? 

How is everyone doing? I hope your week went well and wasn't as crazy as mine! This was my first full week here in Brazil and I loved it! It also was probably one of the hardest weeks of my life but suffering only brings us closer to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
On Tuesday I met my new trainer! His name is Elder Alves! He is native Brazilian and is from Sâo Paulo! My prayers were answered! He is an amazing missionary! I'm so excited to learn Portuguese from him and learn how to work here in Brazil and learned I have! My first day he had me do contacts in Portuguese and he watched as I stumbled through them but he said that the Portuguese I was able to string together was really good, so thanks to the Butters for helping me out in Michigan! 
After meeting our trainers, we were given our bus tickets and sent to the bus station! Elder Alves showed me the departure time and...it was at 10:30pm! It was currently 11:30am...yeah but it was ok though! I got to see a few of my peeps from my MTC District and I loved talking with them! I truly did miss them and I'm excited to see the rest eventually! We eventually got on the bus for a 10 hour bus ride, which was ok, I was able to sleep through most of it, but I arrived in my area!
The area that I'm currently in is called Nelson Costa! It's right south of the really cool city, Ilhéus! I'm right along the coast which brings back memories from California! Except the Beaches look incredible! I will definitely come back and visit after my mission, but right now I'm on the Lord's time. The work here is pretty crazy, we have to do a lot of organizing our area book, but truly a blast! The people are so nice, kind, and friendly! 
Also, we ward share with the ZLS! Which is a total blast! They are amazing missionaries and I'm excited to learn from them as well! Their names are Elder Pryor and Elder Colovich! They're both from the States which is awesome!
This week was awesomely difficult, I can not for the life of me understand the Bahiain accent, but that's ok! I know that as I lean on the Lord for support, that he will grant me strength! I loved what Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said in a Q&A video, " None of these people (prophets from the Bible and Book of Mormon) had an easy time sharing the gospel, none of them, If there is one that had easy time, I must have missed them, because, now this isn't doctrinal, but there has to be something in suffering that is Exalting" The road that we walk is not easy, but as it says in Ether 12:4 
"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."
Having faith to push forward even though the whole world is collapsing in on us is so incredibly vital, for if we desperately hold on to Jesus Christ, He WILL pull us up from the drowning waters that in circle us. This is my Testimony, that He lives. That His work is the most important work on this earth and that nothing will surpass it. Nothing. I know that my Redeemer lives and that He will be with all of us every step of the way. He will be pushing us forward from the back and He will be pulling us forward as well. I leave this with you, in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ amen
Also, I had some really funny experiences this week. My Comp and I we were talking with some of the kids who were baptized recently that we needed them to come to church to be confirmed, a whole story on its own, and we were talking with one of the Grandma's of one of the kids and she tells me something in Portuguese, and I'm like decently confused trying to decipher what she's saying and, my comp, sensing my confusion, says in English with his thick São Paulo accent, "You are truly Beautiful" I literally started rolling with laughter, and everyone else did too, it was a great experience.
Also, we were walking in the street and a guy, who is in one of the stores, says "Oi! Elderes! We were like "huh? Who said that?" He comes running up to us and starts talking to us, all in Portuguese, he eventually asks where I'm from and I say "California". He is like "oohhhhh! From Beverly Hills?" I'm like "nope but close to it" he says " I'm from Beverly Hills!" I'm like "Oh really! That's pretty cool. What part of Beverly Hills?" He ignores my question and precedes to tell me I look like Donald Trump😂😂 and then asks if I have ever been in Trump tower and I say "Nope I haven't!" He then precedes to starting playing and singing on his guitar to us😂😂 it was quite an interesting encounter and he was really nice, but I don't think he's from Beverly Hills😂😂
The next day we were talking with some of the kids on the street and one of them tells me that I look like Bill Clinton...😂😂 I guess I look Presidential 😂😂 Never before in my life have I been told I look like someone so guess that's a check mark off my bucket list😂😂
I love you all! Hope everything is going well, sorry if I haven't responded to anyone's email, I've been really busy, but just know that I appreciate every word that you send me!
Com Amor,
Elder Giles
































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Email Email Email😁

General Conference, As Palavras de Deus!!!